To Report a Crime

Emergency: Dial 911 

Non-Emergency: 624-4351, then press 1.
An emergency is a life-threatening situation, or a crime in progress

Administrative Phone Numbers

Office: 815-624-8881 (Mon-Fri 8-4)  

Fax: 815-624-4955


Officer Direct Phone Numbers
Police Reports

Police report summaries may be available from the Records Center a minimum of five working days after the record has been requested.  Requests may be made by completing and submitting a FOIA request form (PDF link provided below). 


FOIA forms may also be obtained in person at the Records Center during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM.  A FOIA Officer will review all requests and respond in a manner consistent with the Illinois Freedom of Information Act.

Rockton Police Department FOIA Officers: Deputy Chief Matt Hollinger and Corine Hughes

Requests should be submitted:


In person or by mail: 

Rockton Police Department

110 East Main Street

Rockton, IL 61072

By fax:

(815) 624-4955

By email: 


Price for Department Services:


Freedom of Information Report - No charge for the first 50 pages, $0.15 per page there after

Accident Report Copies - $5.00

Accident Reconstruction Copies - $20.00

Summary Reports - $5.00

Subpoena Fee - $20.00

Individual Photographs - $5.00

Digital Photo Pages - $10.00

Digital Photo CD's - $15.00

Video Tapes - $15.00


Note:  Copies - 8.5 x 11 or 8.5 x 14, Black and White

Traffic Citations

All traffic citations are processed through the Winnebago County Circuit Clerks office at the Courthouse in Rockford. The address is 400 West State St., Room 108, Rockford, IL 61101. You must go to the courthouse BEFORE your return date on the citation, but at least 5 days from the date of issuance. The courthouse accepts cash, money order, VISA, MasterCard.   To plead Not-Guilty and ask for a trial, please follow the instructions on the back of your citation, or call the Circuit Clerks Office, 815-987-3038


Parking & Ordinance - Notice of Violations

Parking & Local Ordinance Notice of Violations may be paid:

  • In person - At the Police Station between the hours of 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday

  • Mail - Payment by check to Rockton Police Department at 110 East Main St, Rockton, IL 61072

  • Online - Follow this link          


Criminal History

You may obtain a copy of your criminal history with our department for a $10.00 fee by appearing in person at our department with proper identification during regular office hours.

Old or Unwanted Ammunition Disposal

The police department no longer accepts unwanted ammunition for disposal.  Please direct your requests to the following gun shops that have agreed to assist residents as needed with disposal.

KAP Guns (Kenny) 

7307 Edward Drive 

Loves Park, IL 61111 

(815) 708-8281 

Flashpoint Firearms (Nick) 

11907 Main Street

Roscoe, IL 61072

(815) 270-1204

Sex Offender List

You may view a current list of registered sex offenders by coming to the station during regular office hours and presenting a photo I.D.  Click here to go to the Illinois State Police web site that provides this information through an on-line database.

Citizen Complaint

Please follow this link:  Citizen Complaint

Officer Commendation

The Rockton Police Department strives to recognize excellence in service.  Citizens can call the Rockton Police Department to commend the actions or performance of a Rockton Police Department employee (sworn or civilian).  A citizen may contact the on-duty supervisor, (815) 624-4351, and tell them about the employee's actions and why they deserve recognition.  A citizen may also write a letter to the Chief of Police or complete the Online Contact Form.

Tow Impound Fees

Why are there additional fees associated with impounded vehicles?  

In an effort to recoup expenses, the Village of Rockton found that a fee of $500 was reasonable to impose upon vehicles that were impounded for certain offenses.  This fee is related to administrative and processing costs associated with the investigation, arrest and detention of offenders, inventory of property, and the removal of vehicle, impoundment storage, administrative hearings and release of vehicles. 


What are the outlined offenses in which the additional $500 fee is imposed? 

There are a many different offenses listed in the total of 13 violations outlined in the Village of Rockton Ordinance 71.110 in which the additional fine is imposed upon vehicle impoundment.


Some of these offenses include the following:  Fleeing to Elude, DUI, Possession of Cannabis or Controlled Substances, Theft, Retail Theft, Driving while license suspended or revoked, No valid driver’s license, warrants, most misdemeanors or felony offenses.  


Do I have to pay the $500 impound fee to get my car back? 

Yes.  Prior to an Impound Administrative Hearing, you will need to pay $500 CASH or CREDIT CARD payment.  NO CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED. 


Your payment may be paid:

  • In Person -At the Village of Rockton Police Department, 110 E. Main Street, Rockton, Il 61072.  Payment will be received at the Administrative window on non-holidays, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.  

  • Online - Follow this link


You can pay the $500 FINE and the administrator will make the arrangements with the tow company to release your vehicle after the associated towing and storage fees are paid with the tow truck company as well.  At this point, your car will be released and you are done with the impound fee process. 


You can pay the $500 BOND with a hearing request and the administrator will make the arrangements with the tow company to release your vehicle after the associated towing and storage fees are paid with the tow truck company as well.  At this point, your car will be released and you will be provided with an Impound Administrative Hearing court date.


NOTICE:  that should you request a hearing and the hearing officer sustains the impound that you will be subject to the imposition of additional costs associated with the hearing not to exceed $2500. 


What needs to be proved at the Administrative Court Hearing?   

Basically, a hearing officer will review the incident and determine whether or not the arresting and impounding officer had reason to believe, at the time of the impound, that the vehicle was involved in one of the 13 violations.   Quite simply, this is a low burden of proof.   


What if I wasn’t guilty of the crime associated with the impound and fees? 

The administrative court hearing on the Impound Fees and the Criminal proceedings are entirely 2 separate decisions in which one does not affect the other.   


What if I owned the car which was towed and I didn’t give the driver, who was arrested, permission to take my car?  Do I still have to pay the impound fees?


If your vehicle was actually STOLEN and a police report was filed to investigate the motor vehicle theft from where the actual theft occurred, the impound fees do not generally apply.     


What if I don’t want to pay the fine or get my car out of impound?   

The defendant / driver, owner of the car, and lien-holder will all receive a summons of the administrative hearing court date.  If no fines have been paid prior to this hearing, a judgement against the owner of the car will likely be imposed.  The owner may still have to pay a fine regardless of his/her willingness to abandon their car. 


Sometimes, the owners have signed the vehicle title of ownership over to the towing company as a means to remove themselves from the process.  This doesn’t necessarily remove them from the process as fines may still be imposed in court proceedings when the owner doesn’t appear in court.  Therefore, the owner still needs to appear in court to explain his/her intentions as it relates to vehicle ownership.


Vehicles not retrieved from the towing facility within 35 days after the administrative hearing court date shall be deemed abandoned and disposed of in accordance with the provisions of Article II of Chapter 4 of the Illinois Vehicle Code. 

Missing Minor Resources

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

1-800-THE-LOST or 1-800-843-5678


The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children® (NCMEC) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation whose mission is to help find missing children, reduce child sexual exploitation, and prevent child victimization. Since 1984, NCMEC has served as the national clearinghouse and resource center for families, victims, private organizations, law enforcement and the public on issues relating to missing and sexually exploited children.

National Runaway Safeline
1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929


The mission of the National Runaway Safeline (NRS) is to help keep America’s runaway, homeless and at-risk youth safe and off the streets. Through 1-800-RUNAWAY and 1800RUNAWAY.org, NRS provides 24/7/365 trauma sensitive solution-focused crisis interventions, information and referral via our nearly 7,000 resource database and runaway education and prevention services.